By: Keith Schneringer | April 22, 2019
As has been written in previous articles about Earth Day on this blog, the first Earth Day celebration took place on April 22, 1970.
Since that first event, Earth Day celebrations in 2019 have now grown to include an estimated one billion people in 192 countries, according to the Earth Day Network.
Will this estimated total of one billion people include you?
If this estimated total of people won’t include you, and you would like it to, what should you do?
Well, if you are a Property Management Professional, you might want to check out this list which was compiled by BOMA International which includes 100 Tips for Earth Day for Property Management Professionals.
Or if a list of 100 tips sounds a bit daunting, you could always check out this list of 10 Ways To Mark Earth Day At Your Company which originally appeared in Inc. Magazine.
Each of these lists includes some great potential suggestions which can be put into action in your workplace on Earth Day, or any other day of the year for that matter.
Or perhaps you would like to focus in on waste diversion and recycling? If that is the case, the following suggestions for a Workplace Recycling Program may fit the bill.
But what if you wanted to really feel a part of Earth Day, and participate with your neighbors and fellow citizens in what has become one of the largest civic-focused days of action in the world?
If that is the case, you could always go out and about in your local community to check out one of the Earth Day celebrations scheduled for your area. Thanks to the helpful folks at Earth 911, the following list of events has been compiled to identify some Earth Day events taking place within the WAXIE service area which may be of interest to you.
April 22, 2019
- Irvine, CA – Celebrate Earth Day: Celebrate Earth Day as we gather together to appreciate our home and learn new ways to take care of it. Join us for recycling activities, earth science and art. It’s the coolest celebration on Earth!
- Phoenix, AZ – 10th Annual Earth Day Phoenix Exhibitor Fair: Visit with like-minded sustainability leaders!
April 24, 2019
- Olympia, WA – DIY Terrariums for Earth Day: Join us in the SUB for a fun DIY to celebrate Earth Day! Learn about succulent care and make your very own terrarium. Bring a friend!
April 27, 2019
- Carmel, CA – MEarth Day 2018: Join us at the Hilton Bialek Habitat for a celebration of sustainable living in honor of Earth Day! Enjoy fun activities for all ages, sample delicious food, bid in our silent auction and learn about MEarth’s long-standing commitment to environmental education for all of Monterey County.
- Idaho Falls, ID – Idaho Falls Earth Day Celebration: Enjoy a day of live music, conservation education, games, crafts and displays by local clubs and organizations.
April 27-28, 2019
- Los Angeles, CA – Aquarium of the Pacific’s 19th Annual Earth Day Celebration: Learn what you can do to help our ocean planet at the Aquarium of the Pacific’s 19th annual Earth Day Celebration.
April 28, 2019
- Sacramento, CA – Sacramento Earth Day: Learn about a vast array of methods to live more sustainably.
- San Diego, CA – San Diego EarthWorks' 30th Annual EarthFair 2019: This popular earth-loving event presents a wide range of causes, goods and services that pertain to the environment and quality of life.
So go out, have fun, and see what activities can be undertaken to help protect public health and reduce environmental impacts.
WAXIE Sanitary Supply is an active member of the communities where we serve and has an organizational commitment to sustainability – our people have been regular contributors to Earth Day events in our various locations over the years, and we look forward to participating in Earth Day events in our communities once again in 2019!
Keith Schneringer is WAXIE’s Director of Channel Marketing + Sustainability. He is a LEED AP O+M and CIMS-GB ISSA Certification Expert who has been a consultant on a variety of LEED and CIMS-GB projects, and has presented to audiences at USGBC, BOMA, IFMA and CHESC events (among others). He enjoys learning and sharing information on topics related to sustainability and green cleaning and can be found on Twitter @kschneringer.